Gold & Platinum Refining
- This is a very small, inexpensive vacuum pump, yet it provides a quite respectable 27"Hg vacuum. Requires running water with good pressure from a tap or garden hose to operate.$19.95
- Shows the basic refining process in an easy to understand format. Covers the chemicals, acids and equipment needed to recover gold from workshop waste with actual step by step demonstrations of the refining process for the precious metal wastes; sweeps, karat gold and stripping sediment. Running time: 58 minutes.$59.95
Originally developed by Shor R&D for the refining industry, this pump will take high volumes of acid into its body without any damage whatsoever to the pump.
Unlike standard vacuum pumps which are easily damaged by water vapor, and which require continual maintenance to prevent even small amounts of water incursion, the ARVT vacuum pump remains completely unaffected by even gallons of water passing through the body of the pump. Maintenance on this pump is very simple: simply pour a quart of mineral oil into the intake of the pump. The pump will suck the oil into its body and the pump it out within a couple of seconds. That's it!
Other features include:
- Very high volume.
- Very low maintenance.
- Evacuates 1 quart of air every 4 seconds.
- Develops a minimum of 30 inches mercury vacuum.
The ARVT pump is pneumatic and requires a minimum 1 hp compressor.$3,995.00
This is a purely electrolytic system, requiring a separate rectifier (available from Shor) and works only with silver that is at least 90% pure before refining (Sterling silver is 92+% pure). Produces standard electrolytic grade silver of 99.95-99.99% purity. Uses a dilute nitric acid for electrolyte, so some ventilation is required. Requires a rectifier of at least 25 amps (not included).
- Produces electrolytic grade silver (99.95-99.99% pure).
- Easy to use: requires no experience.
- Low labor: requires almost no monitoring.
- Continuously produces pure silver, not a batch operation. Simply put in a new bar of scrap silver as the old one is dissolved into solution. Take out the pure silver any time, without interrupting the refining process.
- Compact: takes up just 1 cubic foot.
- Snap on lid: all-plastic construction.
- Can also be used for refining gold scrap, but only when the gold to be refined is already at least 90% pure before refining.
- Very inexpensive to purchase and to run.
Please note: when purchasing this product, you are buying, primarily, knowledge. Because this knowledge cannot be unlearned, this product is not returnable.$495.00
- Note: The Simplicity is best suited for solid metal. For computer parts and other e-scrap, we recommend the Aqua Regia Gold Refining System.
To be blunt, if you don't already have one, you either weren't aware of its existence or you've made a costly mistake by not buying one before. It's that simple. There are over 8,000 units in use today and from just 2003-2008, over 6 metric tons of gold were refined in these refining systems. We estimate that our customers, by refining their gold themselves, have saved over $12,800,000 in just the past 2 years!
There is nothing in your shop that you can't refine yourself (though things like polishing sweeps do require some preprocessing).
How does it work?
Using a battery charger or rectifier and the Simplicity, your scrap gold and/or platinum is stripped (dissolved) into a special salt-water bath.
Add powder which turns the gold, but not the other metals, back into solid form. While the pure gold drops to the bottom as small particles, the other metals remain dissolved.
Pour off the water, and then rise, dry, and melt the resulting fine gold particles.
The result is gold of 99.95% purity with losses of metal left dissolved in the waste water of less than .01 dwt. If desired, the other metals can be removed from the water by the addition of aluminum foil. A special ceramic cell prevents the metal from plating out of the water.
Since 1986, Shor has sold thousands of Simplicity refiners to every part of the globe. Over 6 metric tons of gold refined in these systems in just the past 5 years.$595.00
GC Salt is an electrolyte. When added to water, in the Simplicity Gold & Platinum Refining System, it dissolves gold. It is formulated with characteristics uniquely suited for the Simplicity Refining System.
GC Salt is non-toxic and odorless.
Neutralizes the alkalinity of the cathode-side solution.
Alkalines corrode ceramics, such as the GC Cell, so it is very important to neutralize them. GC Salt incorporates buffering compounds to neutralize the alkalinity of the cathode side solution.
Dissolves the 5-6% silver content.
Alternative chloride-based formulas and compounds dissolve 0% silver content, thereby severely slowing the dissolving of gold. GC Salt however dissolves the 5-6% silver content that is typical of 14 karat gold.
Avoids making a mess.
GC Salt incorporates flow agents, allowing it to pour easily without clumping. It also dissolves readily in warm water.$19.95 to $159.95
The Catalyst is used to start the dissolving process in the Simplicity Refining System. It’s kind of like a starter motor for a car: once the process starts, as long as the electrical current continues, and as long as there is still gold to dissolve, the metal will continue to dissolve. Each small packet is sufficient for 4 refining batches, regardless of the size of the batch.
Each bag contains 1 teaspoon of catalyst. Available individually or in packs of ten. 1/4 teaspoon is required for one batch.$15.99 to $139.99
Strongly resembles 14K gold.High in deoxidizers. Zero silver content.
White copper based alloy is very close in color to Sterling but has the advantage of being considerably harder. Retains a high polish.
An excellent metal for small sculptures. Lead free.$9.30 to $60.50
- Add to high silver content gold to reduce the percentage of silver. 5 ounces content.$9.95
Don’t want to hang rings on a silver wire or solder a wire to your ingot?
Got little pieces of metal you don’t want to melt into a bar?
The Nickelodeon is what you need.
Just insert the Nickelodeon into your Pouch, with its graphite rod extending out the top. Connect your DC power supply to the top of the rod and drop your rings or other scrap gold into the Pouch. The rod has a plastic sheath covering its entire length, except the top and the bottom. The rings will make contact at the bottom and your DC power supply clip will make contact at the top. It’s that simple.
For use in the Simplicity Refining System.$39.95
- This is an effective and non-hazardous precipitant for platinum and palladium in chloride based solutions, such as saltwater and aqua regia. Add 1 ounce for every dissolved ounce of metal. Package contains 1 pound of ammonium chloride.$11.99
- Also known as lye or caustic soda. Add water and simmer in a Pyrex or Stainless Steel pot for 1 hour. Removes rouge, shellac, rubber wheels, iron filing and even deoxidizes your bench sweeps. all in one step! Sodium hydroxide is a hazmat item.$24.99
- An environmentally-friendly way to neutralize caustic soda (lye) solutions. Citric acid is a critical component to safely work with caustic solutions.$11.99 to $49.99
Includes all of the consumable supplies needed to begin refining circuit boards and other gold-bearing material.
Storm Precipitant is used in the Simplicity Refining System. Add 1-1/2 tablespoons of Storm Precipitant for every ounce of dissolved metal, then cover immediately with plastic wrap.Advisory: Storm Precipitant is extremely pungent and should only be used with proper ventilation. For a less-pungent alternative, see Quadratic Precipitant.$11.99 to $449.95
The Precious Metal Detection Liquid is a stannous chloride solution used to determine that no more precious metal is dissolved in aqua regia or saltwater solutions.Detect your metals. Intuitively.
Precious metals are just that: precious. Therefore detecting metals in solutions must be simple so that precious metals aren't left behind.
- This liquid detects gold, silver and platinum group metals (including platinum, palladium, rhodium, iridium, ruthenium) by changing color.
- Each precious metal makes a unique and vivid color change.
- Used to test for the presence of dissolved precious metals in chloride solutions.
- Sensitive down to 4 parts of precious metal per million parts of solution
- Recommended use on spot plate or mirror for the most sensitive results.
- Requires only a drop or two of solution to test
- One bottle is usually sufficient for a hundred or more tests
Ammonia Detection Liquid is used to determine that your gold has been thoroughly washed and is very pure by detecting dissolved impurities clinging to refined gold mud.
- Sensitive to 4 parts dissolved impurities to one million parts solution.
- Requires only a drop or two to test.
- Shelf life of about 1 year.
- One bottle is usually sufficient for over one hundred tests.
When refining using the aqua regia method, it is necessary to add urea before the gold is precipitated. Typically, especially with nitric-acid-based aqua regia, there are free nitrogen ions in solution. This can cause some gold to redissolve after it has precipitated. Adding urea neutralizes free nitrogen ions and prevents gold from redissolving.
This product is chemically pure (99.90%).$9.99 to $79.99
A dry, powdered, non-hazardous replacement for nitric acid when making aqua regia with muriatic acid.
Nitric acid is highly corrosive and highly toxic nitric oxide fumes when used in the aqua regia process of refining precious metal. Additionally, it is expensive and difficult to obtain. By using Subzero instead of nitric acid, nitric oxide fumes are completely eliminated. Subzero can be comfortably stored for extended periods of time without deterioration or hazmat concerns. Subzero is a safe and economical replacement for nitric acid when making aqua regia.
All ingredients in the Subzero are chemically pure.For detailed instruction on use:$11.99 to $99.95
- Designed for the MX3 Dissolving Agent, but will work for nitric acid aqua regia systems as well. This is a passive system and requires no pumps other other positive or negative air displacement apparatus. System includes both a scrubber cylinder and a cylinder for dissolving your metal. This system is designed to be used when dissolving your metal but it can also be used when precipitating your pure precious metal. Works for both gold and platinum refining.$74.95
- Good overview of the Simplicity gold and platinum refining processes. Digitally mastered tape. Includes additional interactive instructions program. Compatible with both Windows and Mac. Running time: 17 minutes.$19.95