Already know what items you want to order? Enter the SKUs and quantities of the items you wish to order in the form below to add them to your cart.
Gold & Platinum Refining by the Salt Water Method
Shor carries everything you need to refine gold, silver and platinum group metals.
Our gold and platinum refining system, the Simplicity Refining System works, without acids or other toxic chemicals. This system is suitable for refining jewelry, bars, coins, jeweler's bench sweeps and other similar material. Our electrolytic silver refining system refines sterling (92.5%) silver in just one step- just hang the silver in the system and turn on the rectifier.
Our aqua regia system, the Subzero Aqua Regia System, uses no nitric acid, is completely self-contained and employs an integral scrubber to clean and neutralize all fumes before they are exhausted. This system uses the revolutionary Quadratic Precipitant and MX3 dry dissolving agent.
Shor also has all of the chemicals you need for refining, including both chemical compounds and mixtures developed by Shor R&D (such as Quadratic and MX3), complete chemical kits like the Subzero Starter Kit, as well as the more common chemicals such as sodium nitrate and sodium metabisulfite. All at very competitive prices. Comprehensive instructions are available on all of these products, as well as free, no-charge technical support.
- Note: The Simplicity is best suited for solid metal. For computer parts and other e-scrap, we recommend the Subzero Gold Refining System.
To be blunt, if you don't already have one, you either weren't aware of its existence or you've made a costly mistake by not buying one before. It's that simple. There are over 8,000 units in use today and from just 2003-2008, over 6 metric tons of gold were refined in these refining systems. We estimate that our customers, by refining their gold themselves, have saved over $12,800,000 in just the past 2 years!
There is nothing in your shop that you can't refine yourself (though things like polishing sweeps do require some preprocessing).
How does it work?
Using a battery charger or rectifier and the Simplicity, your scrap gold and/or platinum is stripped (dissolved) into a special salt-water bath.
Add powder which turns the gold, but not the other metals, back into solid form. While the pure gold drops to the bottom as small particles, the other metals remain dissolved.
Pour off the water, and then rise, dry, and melt the resulting fine gold particles.
The result is gold of 99.95% purity with losses of metal left dissolved in the waste water of less than .01 dwt. If desired, the other metals can be removed from the water by the addition of aluminum foil. A special ceramic cell prevents the metal from plating out of the water.
Since 1986, Shor has sold thousands of Simplicity refiners to every part of the globe. Over 6 metric tons of gold refined in these systems in just the past 5 years.$595.00
- GC Salt is an electrolyte. When added to water, in the Simplicity Gold & Platinum Refining System, it dissolves gold. It is formulated with characteristics uniquely suited for the Simplicity Refining System.
GC Salt is non-toxic and odorless.
Neutralizes the alkalinity of the cathode-side solution.
Alkalines corrode ceramics, such as the GC Cell, so it is very important to neutralize them. GC Salt incorporates buffering compounds to neutralize the alkalinity of the cathode side solution.
Dissolves the 5-6% silver content.
Alternative chloride-based formulas and compounds dissolve 0% silver content, thereby severely slowing the dissolving of gold. GC Salt however dissolves the 5-6% silver content that is typical of 14 karat gold.
Avoids making a mess.
GC Salt incorporates flow agents, allowing it to pour easily without clumping. It also dissolves readily in warm water.$19.95 to $159.95
The Catalyst is used to start the dissolving process in the Simplicity Refining System. It’s kind of like a starter motor for a car: once the process starts, as long as the electrical current continues, and as long as there is still gold to dissolve, the metal will continue to dissolve. Each small packet is sufficient for 4 refining batches, regardless of the size of the batch.
Each bag contains 1 teaspoon of catalyst. Available individually or in packs of ten. 1/4 teaspoon is required for one batch.$15.99 to $139.99
- This exciting new product makes gold refining much easier and more comfortable. After over a decade in development by Shor’s R&D department, this powdered precipitant has been perfected to meet all of the characteristics you've been asking for, including:
$19.95 to $159.95
- Unlimited shelf life
- Gold precipitates as heavy mud, commonly referred to as “sponge,” making filtering unnecessary.
- Precipitates pure gold from all chloride-based solutions, including: saltwater, nitric acid-based aqua regia, SubZero based aqua regia and all other chloride-based solutions.
- Very selective; precipitates only gold, of at least 99.95+% purity.
- Over a decade in development by Shor R&D. Field tested by hundreds of users.
- Reasonably priced.
- Sodium metabisulfite (also known as sodium bisulfite) is an affordable and effective selective precipitant for gold. This chemical can recover up to 99.95% of pure gold when the precipitated gold is thoroughly rinsed. It works well even at room temperature. This product has a chemical grade purity of 99.98%.
Proper ventilation is required. This precipitant has a very strong, pungent, acid odor and is corrosive.
Precipitated gold particles vary in size, but tend to be small and float easily in the rinse water. For this reason, special care must be taken to avoid accidentally pouring off gold with the rinse water.$7.99 to $34.50
Storm Precipitant is used in the Simplicity Refining System. Add 1-1/2 tablespoons of Storm Precipitant for every ounce of dissolved metal, then cover immediately with plastic wrap.Advisory: Storm Precipitant is extremely pungent and should only be used with proper ventilation. For a less-pungent alternative, see Quadratic Precipitant.$11.99 to $449.95
Don’t want to hang rings on a silver wire or solder a wire to your ingot?
Got little pieces of metal you don’t want to melt into a bar?
The Nickelodeon is what you need.
This hockey-puck-shaped device contains a short graphite rod at the center to make electrical contact with your material. The rod connects to a heavy wire that you connect to your DC power source.To use, just position the Nickelodeon at the bottom of your Pouch. Then place your metal on top of the Nickelodeon. It’s that simple.
For use in the Simplicity Refining System.$39.95
- Add to high silver content gold to reduce the percentage of silver. 5 ounces content.$7.95