Shor Polishing Motors & Spindles
The threaded shaft motorsBack in the 1950s, shortly after Shor developed the modern polishing systems that are the basic designs for all polishing system today, we worked with Baldor to design the threaded shaft motor. Threaded shaft motor spindles run truer than spindles that are tightened with an allen key. Consequently, they run quieter, are easier to polish with, give a better finish and the motors last longer.
- Motors come with switches but not with spindles. Each motor has its own unique spindle and, with only a few exceptions, the spindles from one motor are not interchangeable with any other motor. Most motors are "right hand" (RH). That means the shaft and spindle stick out from the right hand side of the motor. On the other hand (please excuse the pun), "visilapping motors" are all "left hand" (LH). Double spindle motors, of course, use both a right hand and a left hand spindle. Right hand and left hand spindles are not interchangeable.$346.15 to $729.00
Motor SpindlesEach motor has its own unique spindle and, with only a few exceptions, the spindles from one motor are not interchangeable with any other motor. Most motors are "right hand" (RH), though visilapping motors are all "left hand" (LH). Double spindle motors use both a right hand and a left hand spindle. Right hand and left hand spindles are not interchangeable.
- For holding 1/2" arbor hole wheels such as large rubber wheels.$45.95 to $49.95
- $44.50 to $49.15
Spindle MandrelsThe best place to do polishing is at the polishing motor. That may seem obvious, but most jewelers, when polishing with small brushes, buffs and felts, use their flex shaft machines. Poor control, no torque, dirty and messy (not to mention the loss of gold).a flex shaft is not the ideal way to polish. Spindle mandrels screw onto your tapered spindle and accept all the little brushes, felts, buffs etc.
- Brushes with holes can be threaded onto the hardened steel taper, which in turn can be threaded onto a standard tapered spindle. Handy way to use small setting brushes on a polishing motors.$4.45
- Heavy duty for right side. 1/16" diameter screw. For holding miniature buffs, felts, brushes etc. Fits all Right Hand threaded spindles.$3.10
- Invented by Shor in the 1950's, this chuck is still an invaluable tool for holding 3/32" shank brushes, stones, burs, tools etc. Fits on any tapered spindle. Right Hand Thread only.$7.35
- Handy for holding small drills in larger chucks or flex shaft handpieces. With 3/32" shank. 1 collet. Capacity 0-.045"$6.55
- Handy for holding small drills in larger chucks or flex shaft handpieces. With 3/32" shank. 2 collets. Capacity 0-.097"$9.75
- Made for use with emery paper. 2-1/2" long with 3/32" shank to fit in handpieces. Priced and sold by the dozen.$13.40 to $15.85
- Coat with adhesive and roll in abrasive to form 7" polish stick. Has 1/4" arbor hole for tapered spindle mounting. Made from birch. Also used for holding rings when polishing. Each package contains 1 dozen arbors.$23.00
- Slot hold emery paper so it can be wound around mandrel to desired thickness and secured with rubber band. Typically mounted on a tapered spindle, though it can also be held in the hand. Sold in packs of 1 dozen.$23.50
- High quality steel with 3/32 " shank. For use with snap-on sanding disks.$2.60
For applications where high speed or variable speed are required. These machines are like powerful, bench mounted flex shaft machines.
See also: Flex Shaft Machines and Micromotors.
A powerful variable speed bench motor in a compact size suitable for use at the workbench. High torque, 1/6 hp permanently lubricated & sealed magnet motor. Ball bearing, variable speed from 500-7,000 rpm with solid state control. Heavy duty cast iron base with 4 mounting holes. Power on/off light in base. 6' grounded power cord. Comes complete with TM-3 and TM-4 tapered spindles for felts wheels and buffs, a CHA-4 arbor spindle and a screwdriver.$190.00
With 1/4" diameter holes and 2 set screws for use on 1/4" shafts.$2.35 to $51.00
- Is it a flex shaft machine or is it a bench motor? With the Flexade, you can convert your polishing motor into a flex shaft machine. Any standard handpiece (except 25H, 30H, 44H and 9D) can be attached to the flexade. When ordering, be sure to specify the correct stock number for your motor's shaft.$35.00 to $39.00
A new multi-purpose 1/8 hp machine, with variable speeds from 0 to 10,000 RPM. For othermotors, see also: Polishing Motors.
$5.80 to $120.75
- Can be used as a carver, grinder, sander, polisher, buffer, etc.
- Includes, 31" long flexible shaft and handpiece which fits comfortably in your hand.
- The handpiece accepts a large variety of accessories with 1/8" shaft.
- Supplied with two 3/4" x 3" wheels, one grinding and one polishing.
- Supplied with 3 collets- 18", 3/32" & 1/16".
- Measures: 8" W x 4-3/4" D x 6-1/2" H.
- Made for use with 3M products but adaptable to other large-hole wheels as well.$4.35