Either a stainless steel pot (with the pot as the anode) or a glass container with either a stainless steel or gold anode
Gold plating solution
Hot plate or quartz immersion heater
Distilled or deionized water
Note: when the volume of liquid in the beaker drops due to evaporation, add distilled water to bring the volume back to the original level.
All work to be plated must be thoroughly cleaned.
Electro-clean all pieces before plating and rinse well with distilled water.
Heat solution to between 120º–140º F.
Plate at 4-6 volts for between 5-15 seconds, moving work in solution. The longer the plating time, the darker the plate.
Remove and rinse well with clear water.
Dry all pieces immediately to prevent water spots.
Gold plating solution contains sodium cyanide, a poison. Sodium cyanide may be fatal if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin. For professional use only. Keep away from children and food products.
Do not breathe vapor or mist.
Do not get into eyes, on skin or on clothing.
Exposure causes weakness, headache, cyanosis, loss of consciousness, or respiratory arrest or death.
Sodium cyanide targets blood, metabolic enzymes, skin and lungs.
Physicians should treat exposure victims for cyanide poisoning.
Wear rubber gloves, apron and safety goggles or eye shield. Use with adequate ventilation. Keep container tightly closed and store in a cool, dry area. Clean hands and clothing well after use.
Seek medical attention immediately if a person has been exposed to sodium cyanide.