Cyanide-Based Gold Plating Solution Instructions
Equipment and supplies required
- Either a stainless steel pot (with the pot as the anode) or a glass container with either a stainless steel or gold anode
- Plating rectifier
- Gold plating solution
- Copper wire
- Hot plate or quartz immersion heater
- Good ventilation
- Distilled or deionized water
- All work to be plated must be thoroughly cleaned.
- Electro-clean all pieces before plating and rinse well with distilled water.
- Heat solution to between 120º–140º F.
- Plate at 4-6 volts for between 5-15 seconds, moving work in solution. The longer the plating time, the darker the plate.
- Remove and rinse well with clear water.
- Dry all pieces immediately to prevent water spots.
- Do not breathe vapor or mist.
- Do not get into eyes, on skin or on clothing.
- Exposure causes weakness, headache, cyanosis, loss of consciousness, or respiratory arrest or death.
- Sodium cyanide targets blood, metabolic enzymes, skin and lungs.
- Physicians should treat exposure victims for cyanide poisoning.
Wear rubber gloves, apron and safety goggles or eye shield. Use with adequate ventilation. Keep container tightly closed and store in a cool, dry area. Clean hands and clothing well after use.